[“Glory and Greatness”]
Key word: Humility
|| Matthew 17:1-8; Luke 9:28-36
MK9:1 Now Jesus said to them: “I tell you this truth: Some of you standing here will not experience death until you have seen God’s Kingdom already ruling.” MK9:2 Six days later Jesus took Peter, James and John with him and lead them up into a lofty mountain where they were alone. Then he was transfigured before them, MK9:3 and his garments became dazzling white like snow, whiter than any human clothes cleaner could ever make them. MK9:4 Then they saw Elijah appear with Moses and they were talking with Jesus. MK9:5 Now Peter responded and asked Jesus: “Rabbi, it is outstanding we are all here together! Let us put up three tents – one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah!” MK9:6 For Peter had no idea what to say for they were all so frightened. MK9:7 Then a cloud came and overshadowed them. And a Voice came from the cloud, saying: “This is my beloved Son! Listen to him!” MK9:8 And then suddenly when they looked around they saw no one but Jesus alone with them.
 Some of you standing here will not experience death: That is, will still be alive when.
 Until you have seen God’s Kingdom already ruling: These disciples would still be living when Christ begins his rule in fulfillment to Psalm 2:6, Psalm 110:1, and Daniel 7:13. Christ begins his rule upon his ascension to heaven in the year 33 AD. [1 Corinthians 15:24; Ephesians 1:19-22] Compare notes on Matthew 16:28 and Acts 13:33.
 Peter, James and John: It is the taking of these three that may later bring up the issue of “who is the greatest.” See notes below.
 Transfigured: Or, changed. The Greek is METAMORPHOTHE.
 Elijah appear with Moses: Many see these two as representing the Prophets and the Law respectively and their fulfillment in Christ. Others carry it further. See notes on Revelation 11:4-6.
 Listen to him: Or, hear, obey. This is the real purpose behind the whole transfiguration vision – to confirm to these three apostles the Sonship of Christ and God’s approval of him. The language echoes Psalm 2:6.
- Who do you say Jesus is
- Today’s thought “Do you believe this?” (April 18)
- Not About The Name Of The Godhead Of Jesus
- The Dead — Where Are They? 15 Moses and Elijah at the Transfiguration
- How should we worship God? #13 Transfiguration
- Today’s thought “Rise and have no fear” (July 16)
- Following Jesus Up And Down The Mountain (Mark 9:2-9)
- The Mountaintop
- What A Day
- Transfiguration and disfiguration
- The Transfiguration of Christ
- The Transfiguration of the Lord
- The Transfiguration of the Lord. Catholic Inspiration
- Mark 9: 2 – 13 The transfiguration
- Why did the Transfiguration happen?
- The Transfiguration of Jesus
- The meaning and importance of the transfiguration
- Luke 9- The Transfiguration
- View from the Other Side
- Feast of the Transfiguration of Jesus
- Feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord
- Aug 6, 2021: Feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord (B)
- Friday, August 6, 2021
- After the clouds the sunshine
- “This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!” ~God
- “Listen to Him”
- The Great and Quiet Transformation
- The Church, faith is one continuous, joyful repetition of this “it is good for us to be here”, is a plea for the everlasting light, a thirst for this illumination and transfiguration. Fr. Alexander Schmemann
- The Glory of the Transfiguration
- A Better View of Jesus
- A Glimpse of His Glory
- Christ’s Transfiguration and Our Transfiguration | Daily Office Devotional 2021/8/5
- The Loving Gaze of God
- Let Us Retire from the World and Turn to the Creator
- That’s Supernatural!
- Why Does Jesus Give More To Seers Than To Other Laity?