Matthew 4:18-22 – The Calling of the First Disciples
|| Mark 1:16-20; Luke 5:1-11; John 1:35-42
MT4:18 Walking by the Sea of Galilee Jesus saw two brothers, Simon (who is also called Peter) and Andrew his brother. They were fishermen and were casting their fishing-nets into the sea. MT4:19 And Jesus said to them, “Come here and follow me, and I will make you fishers of humans.” MT4:20 And these immediately dropped their nets and they followed Jesus. MT4:21 And leaving there, Jesus saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee and John his brother. They were in the fishing boat with their father Zebedee repairing their nets. Jesus called them. MT4:22 At once these left the boat and their father and they followed Jesus.
 Simon: The first disciple called or invited. The name means “Listen” and occurs 80 times in the Christian Bible. Others are also called by this name.
 Andrew: The second called. The name means “Manly” and occurs 13 times in the Christian Bible.
 Immediately dropped their nets: It is possible these men were baptized disciples of John the Baptist. It is also possible Jesus had known these men as he had grown up in the area of Galilee. One notes how quickly they were willing to quit their trade and follow the Messiah.
 James: The names means “Surplanter” and equals Jacob and occurs 54 times in the Christian Bible. It is possible that James was a cousin or kinsman of Jesus of Nazareth.
 John: The name means “Yah Favors; God’s Gift” and occurs 140 times in the Christian Bible.
Nazarene Commentary Matthew 4:23-25 – Kingdom Preaching and Healing Draws Crowds
- Counterfeit Gospels
- Truth, doubt or blindness
- Good Morning January 25 We are theologians
- The Pastor Theologian
- Perishable non theologians daring to go out to preach
- A call easy to understand
- Man’s true destiny
- Having Faith in God
- Scripture at Sunrise 2.7.2017
- Only Jesus Will Give You Eternal Life
- Choose good over evil – February 01, 2017
- Two Selves: One Cannot Be Improved, the Other is Perfect in Christ (Part 1)
- “Repent and Believe in the Good News”
- Repent While You Can
- Guilt — Why won’t it go away?
- Jesus sends you out for your sake
- Living in the Light
- Why A Christian Should Not Say “This” To A Non-Christian – Part II
- Do You Really Love Jesus?
- Stones Into Bread
- 3rd Sunday After Epiphany, January 22, 2017
- Third Sunday of Epiphany 2017 – Matthew 4:21-22
- 40 days
- 40 days and 40 nights
- Jesus Keeps Walking, God Keeps Moving
- Light to the Nations?
- Follow Me
- Invited To Follow
- Repentance – Sermon on Matthew 4:12-23
- Jesus calls his first disciples
- Answering the Call (Mt 4:12-23)
- What Does ‘Fish for Men’ Mean?
- Are You Really Following?
- Faith & Fisherman
- Shout for joy, all you whose hearts are pure!