MT13:51 “Did you [disciples] understand everything?” [The Disciples] answered, “Yes.” MT13:52 So Jesus told them, “Therefore, every teacher who has become a student of the Realm of Heaven can be compared to a person, like a householder, who throws out of his treasure-chest new things and old things.”
 Understand everything: Or, KNX: have you grasped all this; NWT: comprehend.
 Teacher: The Greek is GRAMMATEUS and is generally rendered “scribe” though some rendered it: TCNT: Teacher; PME: every one who knows the Law. The scribe was considered a teacher as well as a student sometimes. Search the word scribe or scribes.
 Throws out: The Greek is BALOUSIN and is also rendered: NJB: brings out. But, there seems more enthusiasm in the word.
 His treasure-chest: The treasure are his own goods, the things he has saved. Jesus has used the word “treasure” in relation to the heart. See the notes on treasure at Matthew 6:21 and Matthew 12:35. As a student or learner (a disciple of Christ) each of these apostles has had truths stored up from the Jewish religion – laws, principles, doctrines, prophecies. Now each ones has new truths and news ways of expressing these from the Master teacher, Jesus.
 New things and old things: The New Jerusalem Bible footnote here reads: “The Jewish teacher who becomes a disciple of Christ has at his disposal all the wealth of the Old Testament as well as its completion in the New.” William Barclay writes: “There is something suggestive here. For it means that Jesus never desired or intended that any man [or, woman – editor] should forget all he knew when he came to him; but that he should see his knowledge in a new light and use it in a new service.” (Page 90) No person embarking on discipleship to the Nazarene can refuse to “throw out” in personal witnessing to others truths old and new.
- Priest, scribes and others with authority
- Looking for True Spirituality 4 Getting to Know the Mind of Christ
- Ic eom Bocere….scribe: translation of scribe in Portuguese
- scribe: translation of scribe in Spanish
- #Scribe (Helping Visually Challenged in writing exams)- Srikanth, Deepa & Team
- ScribesFocus on Scribes
- We should all be writing
- How to Decode an Ancient Roman’s Handwriting
- In search of the last word
- Building the Library
- A Mouthpiece for Jesus
- A Scribe’s Life (1): William of Malmesbury
- A Scribe’s Life (2): John of Worcester
- Jesus asks the Pharisees a question (Mt 22:41-22:41)
- The summon of praying scribes
- The Danger in Disciple Making
- Today’s Scripture – May 1, 2018
- Whitened Tombs
- The Disciples Understood