|| Mark 9:37; Luke 9:48; John 12:44, 45
MT10:40 “The person accepting you [disciples] accepts me also; and the person accepting me accepts the One who sent me. MT10:41 The person accepting a prophet in the name of a prophet will get a prophet’s reward; and anyone accepting a righteous person in the name of a righteous one will get the righteous reward. MT10:42 Anyone who gives one of these little ones a cup of cold water because of being [my] disciple – I tell you this truth: they will not lose their reward.”
 Accepting you: Or, RHM: welcome; KJV: receiveth.
 Prophet: The Greek word PROPHETEN means before + speak: to speak things before others; or, to speak things before they occur.
 In the name of a prophet: Or, TCNT: because he is a prophet; KNX: the welcome due a prophet.
 Reward: Or, GDSP: receive the same reward as a prophet. Jesus has in mind the acceptance or welcome due his own disciples as they go forth. The meaning may be: the hospitable person who entertains the prophet will be blessed by what the prophet has to say to the person. One is reminded of 1 Kings 18:10 and 2 Kings 4:8. There are those many cases in the Gospels where individuals invited Jesus to their home and were much rewarded by his teachings or healings. Those who demonstrate kindness and acceptance to Jesus’ disciples will rise in the Judgment with prophets and the righteous (Acts 24:15; Revelation 20:12, 13).
 Righteous person: Righteous means to do what is right, or, obey the law – law-abiding. Or, TCNT: good man; KNX: just man; GDSP: because he is upright.
 Little ones: The Greek is MICRON. Or, TCNT: lowly ones; GDSP: the humblest of my disciples (Compare Matthew 25:31-46). Jesus uses “little ones” (MICRON) (Matthew 11:11; 18:6, 10, 14; Mark 9:42; Luke 7:28; 9:48; 12:32; 17:2). The phrase may indicate the humble, the young, or other insignificant disciples.
- Forbidden Bible Verses — Acts 10:30-33
- Sunday, July 2: God’s Word or Someone Else’s? (Jeremiah 28:5-9; Matthew 10:40-42)
- Welcome (a sermon on Matthew 10:40-42)
- Matthew 10:40-42 We Are God’s Welcome Mat
- Welcoming Jesus: Matthew 10: 40-42 A Sermon for Lectionary 13, 4th Sunday after Pentecost
- Born Haters of God? The Calvinist’s View of Humanity is Too High!
- Transcendent insight on the roots of Christianity – Part I
- Great Verses of the Bible: Psalm 51:1-2
- The Little Ones: Matthew 10:40-42
- Matthew 10:40-42
- Sunday Matthew 10:40-42
- A Provocation: Fourth Sunday After Pentecost: July 2, 2017: Matthew 10:40-42
- Righteous people? (Matthew 10:40-42)
- The solemnity of the second coming (Matthew 10:40-42)
- Reality of Christian discipleship
- Bible Verses about Hospitality
- Matthew 10:40-42 – We choose welcome
- Matthew 10:40-42 for Sunday, July 2, 2017
- You’re Welcome (II): A New View of Christian Hospitality
- Receiving Jesus, Being Jesus – Matthew 10:40-42 and Romans 6:12-end
- Blessed are the persecuted?